Friday, October 11, 2013

The Miracle Worker


A few weeks ago, I found an old DVD of The Miracle Worker – The Helen Keller Story, and I watched it with my 13 year old daughter, Abby.  We were both moved to tears and so inspired by the courage and persistence of both Helen Keller and her teacher, Annie Sullivan.

You probably already know much of the true story, that Helen was both blind and deaf, and that Ms. Sullivan was miraculously able to teach her to communicate and to read.  I probably had my mouth open during most of the movie as I imagined what it must have really been like for Helen or for Ms. Sullivan!

One part that especially meant a lot to me was when I heard that Ms. Sullivan in her earlier life had been blind herself.  So in some ways she empathized with Helen.  She was something of a wounded healer, a helper with a special motivator.
            
Here is a trailer of The Miracle Worker:  THE MIRACLE WORKER Trailer

Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.  – Helen Keller

No comments:

Post a Comment